[GCFL-discuss] Dead Men Read No Mail

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Feb 26 20:08:56 CST 2010

This is the kind of story that reminds me why I subscribed to GCFL. I
think if we could organize a Dead Letter Party around these events, it
could sweep 70% of the vote in the next elections.

I've had some experience with letters like this, from health care
providers, during the four years or so when I had medical coverage. I
would write letters explaining an error, they would generate an identical
automatic bill. The third letter, I would do some on line research, find
a name of a high-placed executive in finance, identify an address where
s/he might be, but where someone would certainly know how to reach him or
her, and send a reasonably restrained letter, mentioning that I hoped
this time I was going to reach someone authorized to read mail and think
about what it said. Generally it results in the whole thing being
delegated to someone intermediate, who gets it straightened out. That's
on the serious side.

I may have said this before, but I was once the entire staff of a small
service center, where mail arrived for someone who had briefly been there
a while back. Like the letter described here, it was from a Psychic in
Florida. I marked it return to sender. Since the post card said "We have
some urgent information about your life," I added "If you're so smart,
how come you don't know he hasn't been here for two years?"

That response that "you may contact my father at the 900 number below was
sheer genius. I loved that.