[GCFL-discuss] The Poll Taker

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Jun 24 12:55:01 CDT 2010

Someone called me on the phone today and wanted to ask a few questions.

I insisted on knowing who she was calling for.

She told me: the Scott Walker for Governor campaign. (He's a Republican).

OK, I was willing to answer a few questions.

I told her in a race between Walker and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, I
was having a hard time committing myself to vote for either one. That was
a little white lie. I am not inspired by Tom Barrett, but he's done a
competent if uninspiring job of running Milwaukee, and there is NO WAY I
would ever vote for Scott Walker.

For her purposes, that made me an undecided voter. I hope it makes them a
little overconfident.

Then she asked how I usually vote. I told her, with complete honest,
usually Democratic, and, to be perfectly clear, I added "Not because the
Democrats are that good, but the Republicans are generally worse. I know
there are some good Republicans out there, but they're not running for
office."

Its not the first time I've said that, its a common observation when I
talk to people of known Republican loyalties.

She cooly thanked me for answering her questions. We wished each other a
good day.