[GCFL-discuss] Veterans R Us

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Nov 11 21:46:15 CST 2010

I liked Armistice Day the way it originally was.

It is fallacious to say that a soldier "gave" anything to "us," including
freedom of the press, freedom of speech, etc.

A soldier is either a citizen, one of those who believe in, and benefit
from, whatever freedom may be referenced, or, a soldier is a mercenary,
taking a job for the pay, perks, sense of adventure, whatever. No army is
ever entirely free of the the latter, but the United States armed forces
have relied more on the citizen soldier, even when a large portion of the
citizens in uniform had to be drafted. A lot of citizens aren't really
anxious to go if they don't have to, but if they have to, they go.

Universal military service has many benefits, including getting people
from all states and regions and walks of life all mixed up with each
other for a few years. A lot of the progress made equalizing life in
America from 1948 - 1970 or so was based on the experience of soldiers in
World War II finding they could depend on guys from the other side of the
tracks to have their back on the battlefield. (GI's have always fought
each other too -- let's be real, it happens).

It also acts as a check on what the government thinks it can use the army
for. An all volunteer military is less likely to ask "You want us to go
WHERE? and fight for WHAT? More important, citizens who aren't going to
be called or see their sons (or daughters) called are not so energetic
about asking the congress reps and president, "You're sending my son
overseas for WHAT?"

On the other hand, compulsory military service means sending people to
fight in wars they really don't believe in. That's a questionable power
to give any government.

In the end though, some serve, some don't, and those who do serve are
taking on that sacrifice for all the rest of us. If the mission is
honorable, all honor to them. If it isn't, we elected the government that
defined the mission, and we should have been paying more attention who we
voted for.