[GCFL-discuss] Question for GreenBubble

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Apr 18 20:40:56 CDT 2011

Roman Catholics have a few books in what they consider "The Old Testament" which everyone else calls "The Apocrypha." These are not recognized by any branch of Judaism. The rabbi I like to consult on the meaning of the original Hebrew said "The Apocrypha are... apocryphal." That means they are tales of no reliability.

greenBubble could undoubtedly explain in more detail that in Jewish tradition, the recognized books are called the Tanach. That is the Torah, the Writings, and the Nevi'im, loosely translated "prophets." The Torah is considered "words and music by the Creator of the Universe." The Writings are NOT "The Word of God," but historical accounts of events in which God was significantly manifested. The Nevi'im are poetic attempts of men granted a revelation to communicate the incommunicable to other men (and women) who did not receive it directly. A little different than the way Luther lays it out.

Last Christmas I was temping for FedEx Ground, and my first day was working with a more experienced temp to learn the ropes. We stopped at a synagogue to make a delivery. In all innocence, he said about one package, "I think its a Christmas tree." The woman smiled and said "Then you'll have to take it back, it has been delivered to the wrong place."

It was at the right place, it was not a Christmas tree. I sort of smoothed things over by saying "It could be an olive tree, couldn't it?" The other driver really wasn't clear that Jews don't celebrate Christmas... but they don't.