[GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] Redneck Thanksgiving

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sun Nov 25 18:56:57 CST 2012

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:13:03 -0500 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
i agree with Jeanene that it sounds like Siarlys and that whoever wrote
it w/o signing should have signed it.

frankly, i have no idea what rednecks do or don't do and I don't pay much
attention to these redneck jokes.  but if i did, i would point out the
factual errors in this joke.

if he is factually correct, then he's making a valid point -- that some
of these are not true redneck qualities.  He is saying that some of these
qualities are shared with non-rednecks and some are not redneck qualities
at all.

I will concede that i cannot fathom the meaning of, 'I thought that's
what pointy-headed northern college-town libruls do." Well, since this is
all about foolish stereotypes,
New York Jews, especially Orthodox Jews who spend most of their lives in
Brooklyn and Queens, have little occasion to learn how folks in Alabama
and Mississippi talk about northern liberals. (Or rather, how those who
feature in movies and stereotypes talk). The Jew-boy with the beard in
Meridian had first hand knowledge, until he ended up buried beneath a dam
site with two fellow civil rights volunteers in 1963.

There is an old joke that in the Democratic primary in a southern state
(in the days when winning the Democratic primary was equivalent to being
elected), the way to bury an opponent was to tell audiences at campaign
rallies that your opponent's sister at a northern liberal college
matriculated with thespians. (The p is often pronounced like a b).

George Corley Wallace, a several time governor of Alabama, who
incidentally was not a racist, merely an opportunist,* used to talk about
"point-headed liberals" and intellectuals, etc. My favorite Wallace slip
was at the 1972 Democratic National Convention, when he was brought to
the stage in his wheel chair, Larry O'Brien obsequiously telling the
microphone how glad they all were to have him there (a Romneyesque
deception if there ever was one, but Mitt was still rather young then),
and concluded his speech with a derogatory remark about intellectual...
then he paused, realizing he had neglected to put the prefix "pseudo-"
before the word "intellectual," and amended his concluding word "snob"
with "pseudo-" so it came out "intellectual ... pseudo-snobs."

The original was about stereotypes, the line greenBubble asks the meaning
of is about stereotypes... stereotypes are FUN, as long as we don't take
them seriously, and deadly when we are stupid enough to believe they are
real or true.

Siarlys

(There, I signed it. Everyone satisfied? Are we such a large group we
don't ALL recognize each other's styles?)

* Wallace in the early sixties proclaimed "segregation today, segregation
tomorrow, segregation forever." But when he ran for governor again in the
late 1970s, finding about 1/3 of the electorate were Americans of African
descent, and a lot of "white" voters were now Republicans, he eagerly
embraced the support of "black" voters, saying anyone who wanted to go
back to segregation was crazy. Black voters looked at the Republican
candidate, and voted for Wallace. Whatever got him elected, that's what
he believed in.

He became an ardent segregationist after an early race when an opponent
insinuated he was a "n----- lover." After losing the election, Wallace
told his cronies, "Boys, they out-n-----ed me, and I ain't never going to
be outn-----ed again." But he didn't really believe it. He just ran with
it.

greenBubble

Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] Redneck Thanksgiving

If the hat fits, wear it ;)
Jeanene, I venture you hit the nail on the head.

~Lance

GO COUGS!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies