[willowbrook] FW: Note from Andrea

Sheila Eisenzimmer sheila at willowbrook.org
Tue May 11 13:00:26 CDT 2004

HUGE NEWS EVERYONE - TONY STILL IS NOT GOING TO IRAQ!!

As most of you know, Tony is at Ft. Bliss this week, for final preparations
prior to deploying to Iraq for a 4 - month assignment for which he
volunteered.  He was home last week and during that time, he had to have a
bunch of shots (including Anthrax) and an Army physical.  All went well
except for the fact that he started having some trouble with asthma the day
after the shots. (He has occasional asthma).  It seemed to be getting worse
as the week went on, but we didn't think anything about it.

At Ft. Bliss during final medical screening, Tony had to list the
medications he would be using while in Iraq to confirm he had an initial 90
- day supply.  When the doctors found out that Tony uses an inhaler for
asthma, he was told that Army medical guidelines state personnel with asthma
who use an inhaler more that twice a week cannot deploy to southwest Asia.
Per the Army doctors, pulmonary disorders are on to the leading causes for
sending home soldiers before their tour is complete. After much pleading and
begging by Tony, the doctors still determined that his asthma problems are
too severe for deployment to Iraq and have classified him medically
non-deployable.

Tony is so disappointed!  He really was looking forward to being able to
help the soldiers over there.  (Maj. Marcus Varnadoire and Msgt. Mark
Brzezinski).  He's told me to ask everyone to continue to pray for the two
Army guys on his three man team who will still be leaving for Iraq this
week.  (Tony's slot will be filled by another engineer finishing up his 4 -
month assignment who has asked to extend).  Although I supported Tony
volunteering for this and am disappointed for him, we are thrilled to have
him coming home this coming weekend!