[GCFL-discuss] Hi Daniel

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 14 21:31:40 CDT 2004

Carla, you are definately not up to date on what is in prisons.  I worked for the deparment of corrections for 15 years.  The law libraries in the prisons are better than many lawyers have.  The reason people are not released is not because the parole board cannot see that they have changed, but because they must serve out their sentences for what they did before they changed.  Also, be aware that the biggest and most serious game in all prisons is the game of "see how much you can con others into believing you are better than you are and are reformed and being abused, etc"  Be careful before you buy any stories you are told.  There are some really nice seeming people in prision, but many have just learned the games well and could fool their moms into believing they are different.  I know many accept Christ and are really changed, but even they will some times play the game of "fool the Man" which is anyone who is not a con.
Just be careful and do a lot of praying that the Lord will keep your eyes open to what is real and what is not.  Just a caution from someone who has seen almost all  the games and learned not to believe without proof.  Too many seeming nice guys and gals couldn't stay out of trouble even 1 week or less when they got out.  Many could not keep out of trouble doing the work release program to help them get back on their feet.
I wouldn't want you to get caught up in one of their games, but I also would want you to be able to help those who are really changed.  Some murders and vicious people can play the game so well they can fool you if you are not careful and prayerful.
I have watched guys who never got a write up in the locked prisions, but couldn't make 3 months at the work release center.  The temptations to go back to old habits are too many times too great or they just played the prison games so well they stayed out of trouble, but their real person shows up when they hit the streets again.

I love your other hobbies.  You sound like you enjoy many wonderful things.

I like to read and crochet, but haven't had a lot of time for them these days as my oldest son was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrigs) last July and is now unable to care for himself at all.  His dad and I take turns staying with him during the week so his wife can continue to work.  He turned 39 last week and has 5 children ages 6, 8, 11, 17, 19.  He is doing okay, but of course unless the Lord heals him the end is already determined, we just do not know when.  Makes you look at the world differently and reset your priorities somewhat.  I also have 2 grown daughters and 2 teenage girls, 1 teenage boy and a preteen.  Life is busy and the Lord is good.

Take care and God bless you much.
Nancy

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
Carla asked about hobbies.

My favorite hobby is doing research at a local law library for people who
have spent many years in prison, built a relationship with God, dedicated
themselves to acquiring not one but several job skills, maintained
sterling records, have long since been eligible for parole, but keep
being turned down for silly reasons like "you haven't done enough time."
There is some recourse to the courts (although most lawyers are extremely
dense about recognizing them). Law libraries inside prisons are not very
good, and time to use them is very limited, so it helps to have someone
outside.

I have done some research for a group of people trying to keep a granite
stone carved with the Ten Commandments in a city park also. I have found
that federal court precedents have much more depth to them than most
atheists believe, or most Christians credit either.

Oh, I also play chess, Go, Scrabble, and help children with homework at a
local Boys and Girls Club, and I like volleyball and cooking and learning
Welsh.

Nance