[GCFL-discuss] Old cowboy goes to church

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 28 11:18:21 CDT 2004

Also.....

The matter of dress and grooming is another area in which we need to cultivate virtue. Clothing choices vary according to culture, and pressure may be strong to keep up with the latest styles and trends. But why should we follow every fad or fashion that comes along? The Bible admonishes us to "quit being fashioned after this system of things." (Romans 12:2) Rather than make up rules, the apostle Paul wrote under inspiration: "I desire the women to adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive garb, but in the way that befits women professing to reverence God." (1 Timothy 2:9, 10) This basic standard applies to men and women alike. Of course, there is room for delightful variety in style as a result of cultural preference or personal taste.

The Bible also identifies immoral practices that God explicitly condemns. At 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10, we read the warning: "What! Do you not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God's kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God's kingdom." Clearly, to cultivate virtue, we need to get thoroughly familiar with God's standards.

Posh

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net wrote:
Good point, Q.  And thanks.
"The poor we will always have with us...Matt. 26:11. (Jesus said it - not me)
Some people will never have what we call "church clothes."  I don't care who comes to church, rich, poor or in between, I am glad for them to come.  Alcoholics, bums and prostitutes have visited our services and we welcomed them with open arms and love.  They did not smell good, look good and were not always dressed well but we loved them and welcomed them and it made a difference in their lives.  One old guy was a regular...Old Ben...bless his heart.  He was drunk, poor but he loved to come and we made sure he knew he was welcome - every time!  (he died recently)  So we cannot make clothes an issue - it is the heart that matters to God.   I look for God to change the hearts and mindsets of people...the word and the work of the Holy Spirit does that.  Our job is to win souls to Christ and the change within will become evident on the outside.

God bless you abundantly today and always!

GCFL-discuss mailing list
GCFL-discuss at gcfl.net