[GCFL-discuss] Putting Politics into perspective

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Apr 28 20:48:46 CDT 2004

Jeff, there is no doubt that Clinton fumbled around, and couldn't quite
decide if he wanted to keep hands off and do nothing, or wanted to put
the military into action, so he sort of wandered around between the two
and accomplished nothing.

There is no question we, as a nation, did the right thing in Afghanistan
and going after al Qaeda. But I don't call what Bush did in Iraq either
manly or taking care of the situation. Its not taken care of at all, and
it could have been by a more mature, cold, realistic appraisal of what we
would be responsible for. Defeating a weaker army with poor morale and
worse equipment is only the first step. Bush had no idea what the people
and political forces in Iraq would be once we knocked off Hussein. It has
been a major distraction from the war with al Qaeda, it has given al
Qaeda some new options, and it really is stretching our military --
especially since Rumsfeld keeps trying to push that a smaller, cheaper
military can do the job, which is really leaving those on the front lines
more vulnerable than was necessary.