[GCFL-discuss] Kerry, America, Etc.

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Aug 11 22:44:27 CDT 2004

Oh, its you Jeff. I wondered who was running this monologue...

"What about the burning of villages ( most likely had children in them
especially in the night like they did) while Kerry was in war?"

I could say that Kerry was on a boat, some distance from the burning of
villages full of women and children, but, the only real point I would
make in reply is this: If you are among those who reject Kerry, because
he testified before a Senate committee that American forces in Vietnam
committed atrocities, then don't raise that American forces DID commit
atrocities as a mark against Kerry. If you accept that Amercan forces
committed atrocities, then give Kerry credit for saying so in 1971. You
can't have it both ways.

The only anti-war demonstrations that had any real impact on government
policy were those organized by Vietnam veterans. The rest got a lot of
media, but didn't have a real impact in Washington. More potent reasons
for American withdrawal, were the fact that half the soldiers over there
by 1973 were strung out on heroin (cheap and easy to get), many units
were shooting their lieutenants, and whole brigades were refusing to
"pull point" -- be the first in action on the battlefield. Something
really didn't look right about the whole conflict to those sent to fight
it.

"The majority of America hears only what it want it wants to   & what
sounds good not stopping to think about  what effect its going to have on
themselves & their  children."

That has been true of most American elections and public opinon polls
since long before I was born, perhaps for the entire history of our
nation. I would say that it gave us Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush --
you would no doubt attribute other developments less to your liking, and
we are probably both right about most of it. Democracy isn't about
patriotic informed citizens ruling -- most people don't want to be
bothered. Democracy just gives us more options than assuming that the
king's eldest son or the general commanding the most troops is wise
enough to rule.

"So much so that America has  put God on the back shelf & feed ourselves
lies
that we can be our own god and that we don't need a God. No matter how
much we want to forget it our country was founded on the Bible. Now
prayer is taken out of schools, homos marry, & the ten commandments are
taken out of the court rooms"

America has always put God on the back shelf. Less than 100 years after
the Mayflower arrived, three fourths of the population of New England
were nonbelievers. In 1800, six women attended church regularly for every
man who bothered, and in most rural villages, more than half of newlywed
couples had a baby on the way.

But take heart: prayer has not been taken out of the public schools. That
is a lie formulated by Madalyn Murray O'Hair in collusion with some
so-called Christian leaders who both found it expedient to say so. All
that has been taken out is the grotesque notion that the state should
write official state prayers and require all children to recite them
because some state official said so. As long as there are math tests,
there will be prayer in public schools. And as I mentioned when we were
agreeing on a few things, it is well established that individuals do not
leave their own free exercise of religion behind them when they enter a
school.

Homosexual marriage is going to be a very short-lived fad. It is going
nowhere much further than it already has. Few if any states will follow
Massachusetts' example, and Massachusetts will probably put it out of
reach of their Supreme Court in a couple of years.

But the Ten Commandments don't belong in the court rooms. There are
American citizens entitled to equity in those court rooms who are not
Jewish or Christian. AThe Ten Commandments simply are not the law of the
land. They never have been. They are a higher law, once our mere human
courts cannot exalt.