[GCFL-discuss] A story you probably haven't heard..............

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Jan 21 09:45:25 CST 2004

I RECIEVED THIS FROM ONE OF MY CO-WORKERS AND THIS SEEMS TO BE A BIG TOPIC FOR PEOPLE.  IT IS A GOOD STORY.

ERIC
NY

At the Foot of the Cross
A Story You Haven't Heard

BreakPoint with Charles Colson

January 6, 2004

Angel Tree, our Prison Fellowship program for prisoners' children, is
one of the great unheralded volunteer outreaches in America. Over the
Christmas holidays these past few weeks, approximately 100,000
volunteers delivered Angel Tree gifts to more than 525,000 children
of inmates.

You didn't read about this in the newspapers, nor would I expect that
you should. It's not really that newsworthy that Christians help
people in need. But
there are two of our volunteers, who delivered forty presents, that I
think you should have read about but didn't. For reasons best known
to themselves,
the media ignored the fact that two of the volunteers were President
and Mrs. George Bush. And they delivered gifts to forty inner-city
kids in a church
basement three days before Christmas.

President and Mrs. Bush arrived at three-o'clock, Monday, December
22, at the Shiloh Baptist Church in Alexandria, Virginia. Now,
presidents don't
move anywhere without a great deal of fuss. The police were out, the
roads blocked, and Secret Service were roaming around the church. And
when the
president arrived, he was accompanied not only by his own team, but
also by a pool of reporters, forty or so members of the press. For
ten minutes they
popped their flashbulbs, scribbled their notes, and then were ushered out.

I remember from my days with President Nixon what photo opportunities
are: Get the picture and leave. So I thought the Bushes would shortly
depart, but
they didn't. They stayed long after the cameras were gone to greet
every child, to have their picture taken with them, their mothers,
and their
grandmothers, to talk with them, and to ask questions. Though the
press didn't report it, I noticed that both the president and Mrs.
Bush talked to the
Hispanic children in Spanish.

Just before the president left, I introduced him to Al Lawrence, a
member of our staff. I told the president that I had met Al more than
twenty years ago in
a prison. Jesus had got hold of Al's life, and he's been working for
us ever since. Then I told the president that Al's son was now a
freshman at Yale. At
that point the president stopped, exclaimed, "We're both Yale
parents," and threw his arms around Al Lawrence―an African-American
ex-offender
being embraced by the president of the United States in a church
basement. The ground is indeed level at the foot of the cross.

I tell you this story because it's a wonderful Christmas story, and
you probably haven't heard it. With all those reporters who crowded
into that basement,
the visit resulted in almost universal media silence.

I suppose there are many explanations for this, but I'll offer mine.
The president is a Christian who really cares for "the least of
these," who does this not
for photo ops, but because he's genuine. That is something that his
detractors in the media simply can't handle. Conservatives caring for
the poor? Never.
It dashes the stereotypes.

But surely Christians ought to be rejoicing that the most powerful
man in the world and his wife, a couple of days before Christmas, had
a wonderful visit
with the most powerless people in our society.

After all, that echoes the Christmas message, doesn't it? The most
powerful came to be with the least powerful to give us hope.

For further reading and information:

"President and Mrs. Bush Celebrate an Angel Tree Christmas ," press
release, Prison Fellowship, 22 December 2003. Also read the
president's remarks
here.

"Bush joins in gift-giving for kids with parents in prison ,"
Associated Press, 22 December 2003.

Charles Colson and Mark Earley , ed., Six Million Angels: Stories
from 20 Years of Angel Tree's Ministry to the Children of Prisoners
(Vine Books,
2003).

Visit Angel Tree's website to learn more about our outreach to
prisoners' families and to find out how you can get involved.

Sylvia Moreno, " Notes from a Friend in High Places ," Washington
Post, 12 October 2003, A01.

Marvin Olasky, Compassionate Conservatism (Free Press, 2000).