[GCFL-discuss] Birthday or concert

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Jul 8 21:19:51 CDT 2004

Jeff, I thought we already ran around who was old and who was young
(which suprprised me both ways about almost everyone), but I turned 50
last April. I was born on the day that marked the beginning of the end of
the Vietnam War as far as France was concerned, and if we were smart we
would have left it right there; then there would have been one less thing
to spark protest marches when I was 16 to 18. I turned 19 the first year
they didn't draft anyone (when I registered at 18, the system was that
the following year, they would pick alphabetical letters from a drum,
like lottery numbers, and go through registered 19 year olds with last
names beginning with the first letter picked, then the second, and so on,
until they had the numbers they needed to fill the ranks, and everyone
else was off the hook barring a major war). My mother generally made a
tradition of chocolate frosted angel food cake for my birthday, which I
paid for in souffle made from the egg yolks the next week. (I hate
souffle).