[GCFL-discuss] New topic

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Fri Jul 23 22:34:46 CDT 2004

Most of my friends in the Washington DC area were rooting for the 76ers,
last time I paid attention. They were winning against some team I liked
better in the playoffs, possibly the Bucks. I like Philly against other
east coast teams, against any western team, but I enjoy seeing Sacramento
beat LA.

What kind of movies do I like? Obscure ones with historical content, like
1900, the one Bertolucci was financed to make as the price of his
agreement to direct Last Tango In Paris (a script he despised), Burn --
the least publicized of all Brando films, and the only one Brando said he
made for anything but the money, The Killing Floor (a reference to the
Chicago stockyards, not to gory murder scenes... in the way of oldies, I
like Capra films like Meet John Doe, also It's A Wonderful Life, the Why
We Fight series about World War II, and Proud Valley starring the great
Paul Robeson, who is FINALLY appearing on a postage stamp this year. More
recently, I like Spitfire Grill.

I really looked forward to seeing Braveheart, but it was such a trashy
inaccurate disappointment I haven't trusted anything by Mel Gibson since.
The plot was rewritten to fulfill Gibson's personal fantasies, political
and sexual. E.g., Gibson as William Wallace had an affair with the French
Princess wife of the future Edward II -- only problem is, Edward didn't
marry her until ten years after Wallace died, so if Wallace had had an
affair with her it would have been a Megan crime. Likewise, Prince Edward
was portrayed as small, effeminate and weak, when in real life he was
tall, broad shouldered and athletic, although he did have a preference
for male favorites. And Robert the Bruce never had any dealings with
Wallace, nor wanted to.

William Wallace deserved a really good, accurate, dramatic movie about
him, and still does, but what Gibson made wasn't it.

Oh, that's what kind of movies I don't like. I also liked Breaker Morant,
about three Australian soldiers court-martialed and executed by the
British Army as scapegoats for the brutal tactics by which the British
defeated the Boers around 1900.

That's enough out of me for one email.