[GCFL-discuss] I led the pigeons...

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jun 15 11:01:43 CDT 2004

Siarlys and Nameless

Was it Patrick Henry who said, "I disagree with everything you say, but I'll
fight to the death for your right to say it"?

I disagree with much of what you say, but I am usually impressed by the
clarity and perspective with which you express it.

I don't think the Supreme court acted out of humility but out of cowardice.
Such humility would be misplaced.

Regarding your second amendment objection, the "under G-d" clause solves it.
It says that my pledge to the flag/country is secondary to my pledge to G-d.

greenBubble

Cc: Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List
Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] I led the pigeons...

I haven't read the full text of this opinion yet, but I couldn't be
happier with the result that is summarized here:

CIVIL PROCEDURE, CONSTITUTIONAL LAW

    ELK GROVE UNIFIED SCHOOL DIST. v. NEWDOW, No. 02-1624 (U.S.S.C. June
    14, 2004)
    A father did not have standing to challenge the "under God" portion
    of the Pledge of Allegiance as violating the Establishment Clause on
    behalf of his daughter, because he lacked "next friend" status under
    California Law.

    To read the full text of this opinion, go to:
    http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/us/000/021624.html

The Supreme Court did not say that the words "under God" are appropriate
in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Supreme Court did not say that the words "under God" are
inappropriate in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Supreme Court did say "get this nonsense out of our face" by the only
legal process available: saying that the father had no standing to bring
his suit to court in the first place.

I continue to believe that it was a mistake for Congress to adopt ANY
"official" version of the Pledge in 1942, much less add words to it in
1954 -- but there is not much the courts can do about that.

I also believe that putting the words "under God" into a second-rate
piece of secular verse defiles the Holy Name of God.

But most of all, I believe that reciting a pledge to a flag is a
violation of the Second Commandment. That is between me and God, not
binding on anyone else, and also no business of the Supreme Court's.

The court did the right thing, the common sense thing, and acted with
appropriate humility.