[GCFL-discuss] Wives of Pagans

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat May 1 07:14:24 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:09:26 -0500 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
>Yolanda,
>      I think the verse he was referring to was 1 Peter 3:1  "Wives,
>likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not
>obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their
>wives," (NKJV).  I know this is a verse that is hotly debated especially
among
>single college students.
>
>Eagle

It seems that Paul was instructing wives of pagan husbands to win their
husbands to Christ by example, rather than by engaging in theological
argument. It doesn't clarify what the relation of husband and wife in an
ideal Christian family might be. It is also interesting that an
evangelist who puts down a husband's Catholic faith would teach a wife to
submit to that husband.