[GCFL-discuss] Opinions and Advice

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 6 17:47:27 CDT 2004

Ok. I have a question, and want people's opinions. The question is this:
what do you do when what your parents want and what you want are different.

The context of the question is rather complicated. For the Reader's Digest
version, I have been living on my own for a number of years now, and my
parents made me move back home. I was planning of moving out of my
appartment, into another one with two friends. 1 week before I was to move,
my parents decided that it wasn't good for me. They didn't like one of these
two individuals, and simply said "No". I didn't want to disappoint my
friends, so I'm still paying rent there (both these individuals have severe
food intolerances, and trust the others to NOT contaminate the kitchen -
something they don't feel everyone can. There's only a few people they feel
they can trust.).

My mother loves to lecture, and will do so on any opportunity available.
Some examples are: "You didn't get that job! ... you're too meek. That's
what they didn't like about you... you also waste your time .... you
shouldn't have gone to church during exams." ... [after calling me on my
cell]
"Where are you? ... you should have called" - I remind her that she was to
call me, and that I did, in fact call her anyway - "... Well, when you don't
get an answer, you call back every two minutes until you get one." This is
not practical for two reasons: one, I use up cell phone minutes needlessly,
and two, my father works at home, and is on the phone for hours on end with
business associates.

Anyway, that's just rambling. Needless to say, I'm not happy at home; I feel
trapped, because I'm outside the city limits where there is no public
transportation and therefore cannot go anywhere or do anything social. I
want to be living in the city, but it would absolutely kill my parents - esp
my mom - to live with my friends, but I need to live my life.

I've tried talking to them, and tried just following them, not really caring
what it was that I wanted. Neither works well, so I was just wondering what
you are thinking.

~Quama

PS. Thanks.