[GCFL-discuss] Dobson

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue May 18 13:43:41 CDT 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:05:50 GMT gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:

>Could you please show some examples of where Dobson was "so
>inexplicably crude and obtuse in other pronouncements." please. I need
>some evidence before I can discuss that.
>
>Lance

Good question Lance. I should say first, it was a mistake to respond to a
question, do I "support" or "oppose" Dr. Dobson. That is like asking
whether I support or oppose Bill Gates, whether I support or oppose Peter
Jennings, whether I support or oppose my next door neighbor. Most people
have some admirable qualities, and some less admirable ones. I can find
something I agree on with almost anyone, and something I disagree on.
Would I consult Dr. Dobson on a matter about child raising? Quite likely.
Would I vote for him for public office? Unlikely -- but then, he isn't
running.

Actually, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to Dr. Dobson, but I run
into something he's written, or something he's being quoted on, now and
then. I have friends who refer respectfully to him. Like I said, I like
what he writes about raising children. So what do I object to?

I checked his website to see what he's said lately. A lot of it is the
kind of good stuff I run into every few Sundays.

There was a silly article about how George Bush is looking good. It
didn't say anything, but it reminded me there are some telegenic
Christians who can't refrain from implying that if you love Jesus you
love Republicans (maybe even the homosexual Republicans -- after all,
homosexuals with prosperous businesses vote just like Baptists with
prosperous businesses). I probably said this before, but George W. Bush
always reminded me of Damien in Omen III. I refrained from voting in 2000
because the choice reminded me of an old Japanese monster movie:

Anti-Christ (played by George) vs. the Blob (played by Al).

Dobson is simply outside his area of expertise there. Anyone who likes
Bush will appreciate Dobson's support -- we all like to see our candidate
endorsed by celebrities -- but it doesn't mean any more than Barbara
Streisand endorsing the other side. (Streisand's opinion does not
influence my vote).

Then he had all kinds of articles about passing a marriage amendment to
the federal constitution. That is dangerous, for the same reason that
judges overstepping their bounds is dangeorus.

I believe that the supreme courts of Vermont and Massachusetts made a
plain and obvious analytical error when they found that "equal protection
of the laws" requires marriage for homosexuals. I can explain that error
at great length if anyone cares, but for now I won't. I'll just say that
no man who wanted to marry a woman, and no woman who wanted to marry a
man, has ever been denied a marriage license on the ground that they are
homosexual.

I believe it is wrong to amend the fundamental law of the land every time
someone thinks someone might be doing something they don't approve of.
Define marriage in the constitution? Why don't we also define the color
of the sky? The constitution is for the broadest general civic
principles.

Dobson squirms to deny that marriage is a state responsibility, and to
establish grounds for federal jurisdiction, but it ain't so. It IS a
state matter. We have too much federal intrusion into too many details of
life now. We should not be inconsistent on principles just to achieve a
desired result on one issue. Let the people of Massachusetts do what they
choose about their supreme court. If the majority of the people of a
state choose to recognize homosexual unions, it is not the function of
the federal government to over-ride them. (I don't know of one state
likely to do that -- but let the issue be argued on that ground).

The lawyers who argued for existing marriage laws before the courts of
Massachusetts didn't do their homework. They didn't think outside the
box. Neither has Dr. Dobson. But that isn't what he is good at anyway. I
would be "opposed" if he ran for public office. I would "support" his
nomination for principle of a high school for troubled use. We each have
our own gifts.