[GCFL-discuss] salvation by...

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed May 19 19:30:11 CDT 2004

Jeff, I never take offense at someone disagreeing with me. None of us
would have any friends left if we made a habit of that. I appreciate all
of our discussions, and I get bored if I am talking to people who feel
the same way I do. What would there be to talk about?

I note however, that the most passionate statements that salvation is
through acceptance of Christ alone drift away from Scriptural sources,
and particularly away from Gospel sources, because in fact Jesus was not
so narrow, so quick to condemn, nor did he ever try to make things simple
and easy to understand. He constantly criticized his own disciples for
never getting it right. I expect all of us are at least as prone to
misunderstand as they were.

All the things Lance and Nancy and Rev. Ev have said about salvation are
good ways to approach Jesus, and through Jesus the Father. But Jesus
never made them so exclusive, or condemned those who did not make
specific professions of faith. These are all doctrines arranged by church
councils, synods, theologians, from 100 years to 1749 years AFTER the
Resurrection. If we reduce salvation to a formula, we become
uncomfortably like the Pharisees, who were always wrapped up in the law
and never saw the content or spirit the law was intended to serve. (The
Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath).