[GCFL-discuss] Our Strength

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed May 19 20:01:03 CDT 2004

I hope this is taken in the same spirit I responded to Jeff's comments,
but I believe Jan could not be more wrong about our nation's strength
coming from acknowledging God.

First, take a second look at the Roman Empire. Christianity was the
official religion of the Empire before it fell. In my opinion, much that
is distorted about the institutional church, Protestant as well as
Catholic, came from the misfortune that the Christian faith was adopted
as official by the Emperor -- and thereupon changed to suit the needs of
the state.

The state, even the most enlightened state, even the most democratic
republic, is still Caesar. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar, and unto
God what is God's. Separating church and state is not only to insulate
the state from becoming an instrument of religious warfare, it is also to
preserve the purity of the church as the servant of God, not of state
policy.

That said, EVERY position in government is filled by an individual
person, who must seek the guidance of God to do the best he can in that
position. Quietly, in private, as Jesus exhorted, not in public like the
Pharisees.

Further, some of the most inspired words our more capable and inspiring
leaders have bequeathed to us are rich with Biblical reference and
deference to God. The words inscribed in the Lincoln Memorial for
example. That is highly appropriate. (Some of the most godawful nonsense
our politicians have foisted on us also comes with mention of God -- the
name can be taken in vain after all).

But our strength as a nation does not come from God. God has not made a
covenant with us as he did with Jacob (Israel). WHEN our leaders manage
to come fairly close to delivering what God would wish for humanity to
do, we may be more successful and stronger, for a time. But there is
strength, for a time, in doing evil also.