[GCFL-discuss] Greater Love hath no man

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat May 22 00:41:12 CDT 2004

     Frank,
  Even doing so we cannot gain Salvation but through Jesus Christ WHO
DIED FOR ALL !!!!!
Have a great day :)
  Jeff

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:09:55 -0600 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
Maybe this is what we must do to gain salvation.
Frank

No Greater Love
I heard this story when I was in Vietnam, and it was told to me as fact.
have no way of knowing for sure that it is true, but I do know that
stranger things have happened in war.
Whatever their planned target, the mortar rounds landed in an orphanage
run by a missionary group in the small Vietnamese village. The
missionaries
and one or two children were killed outright, and several more children
were wounded, including one young girl, about eight years old.
People from the village requested medical help from a neighboring town
that
had radio contact with the American forces. Finally, an American Navy
doctor and nurse arrived in a jeep with only their medical kits. They
established that the girl was the most critically injured. Without quick
action, she would die of shock and loss of blood.
A transfusion was imperative, and a donor with a matching blood type was
required. A quick test showed that neither American had the correct
type,
but several of the uninjured orphans did.
The doctor spoke some pidgin Vietnamese, and the nurse a smattering of
high-school French. Using that combination, together with much impromptu
sign language, they tried to explain to their young, frightened audience
that unless they could replace some of the girl's lost blood, she would
certainly die. Then they asked if anyone would be willing to give blood
help. Their request was met with wide-eyed silence. After several long
moments, a small hand slowly and waveringly went up, dropped back down,
and then went up again.
"Oh, thank you," the nurse said in French.
"What is your name?"
"Heng," came the reply.
Heng was quickly laid on a pallet, his arm swabbed with alcohol, and a
needle inserted in his vein. Through this ordeal Heng lay stiff and
silent.
After a moment, he let out a shuddering sob, quickly covering his face
with
his free hand.
"Is it hurting, Heng?" the doctor asked. Heng shook his head, but after
few moments another sob escaped, and once more he tried to cover up his
crying. Again the doctor asked him if the needle hurt, and again Heng
shook
his head.
But now his occasional sobs gave way to a steady, silent crying, his
eyes
screwed tightly shut, his fist in his mouth to stifle his sobs. The
medical
team was concerned. Something was obviously very wrong. At this point, a
Vietnamese nurse arrived to help. Seeing the little one's distress, she
spoke to him rapidly in Vietnamese, listened to his reply and answered
him
in a soothing voice.
After a moment, the patient stopped crying and looked questioningly at
the
Vietnamese nurse. When she nodded, a look of great relief spread over
his
face.
Glancing up, the nurse said quietly to the Americans, "He thought he was
dying. He misunderstood you. He thought you had asked him to give all
his
blood so the little girl could live."
"But why would he be willing to do that?" asked the Navy nurse.
The Vietnamese nurse repeated the question to the little boy, who
answered
simply, "She's my friend."
Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for a
friend.
Col. John W. Mansur
Condensed from "Missileer"

Learn to simplify your finances and your life in Streamline Your Life
from MSN Money.