[GCFL-discuss] The devil you know

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 31 22:22:55 CDT 2004

greenBubble, you sound like Eugene Debs, who resigned from the Indiana
legislature when he found that his proposed law to protect railway
employees had been trashed in exactly the way you describe. He went on to
found the American Railway Union, win a strike against the Great
Northern, lose the Pullman Boycott, serve six months in federal prison,
run for president several times, the last time from the Atlanta prison
with campaign buttons for "Prisoner #5307".

But in the end, each of us is a special interest, or part of a special
interest. We don't exactly choose our politicians, elections are
manipulated, but politicians get away with it because we respond to
manipulation.