[GCFL-discuss] Fw: Re: Opening

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Aug 8 14:08:18 CDT 2005

I am paraphrasing from our classic commentary, Rashi (10th-11th Century
C.E.)
He explains it as if the verse read like this:
"whosoever slayeth Cain, .... Vengeance shall be taken on him in the seventh
[generation]."
He explains it like a parent might say to a child, "If you do such-and-such,
...." leaving the punishment to the child's imagination.

The Hebrew word "Na vaNad" is what you are translating as "a fugitive and a
vagabond ".  "Na" means always moving.  "Nad" means "exile".  ("The prefix
"Va" means "and")
Exile is the official punishment for unintentional murder.

greenBubble