[GCFL-discuss] Supreme Court Nominee

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Aug 8 21:10:35 CDT 2005

Oh, none of us know the truth Lance. Check on it in a couple of years,
and we'll see if my guesses are close to right. I see there is an article
now about how Roberts argued very hard for a client that there is no
constitutional right to privacy, but then the article says, those may not
be his own views at all. That statement is such a big maybe it can't help
be true, but what good does it do us? Its just a lot of hot air to make
the writer feel like he is doing something useful, when there is nothing
useful he could do except wait and see.

Oh, on the ozone, I have also read that shifts in the magnetic poles can
be measured by the polarity of magnetic patterns in various rocks. But
that is also evidence of continential drift, so if there are two
explanations, they could both be true, or either one could be true, but
not the other.

And, I don't know any way it would relate to ozone. What I have seen on
changing polarity in the magnetic field amounts to a cataclysmic event --
for thousands of years we would have no protection from solar radiation,
and most large-size life on earth would die, then the field would
re-establish itself, possibly with north and south fields reversed.

The ozone is formed by solar radiation striking the oxygen in the upper
atmosphere in normal conditions, WITH a magnetic field. It might even
increase without a field. Basically a lot of ultraviolet gets absorbed,
first splitting oxygen to allow ozone to form, then splitting the ozone
again. What is taking out the ozone is chemicals we used to use for
refrigerators drifting up there. It doesn't have much to do with either
the polar fields or global warming.