[GCFL-discuss] Hot Cross Buns

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Aug 9 20:31:54 CDT 2005

I found this on a magazine web site -- it is a little old, probably 2002,
but still good reading. I might add that I often make hot cross buns
myself, if I have enough chopped candied fruit left over from Christmas,
and I think they taste wonderful.

Siarlys

Hot cross buns are a traditional Easter-time treat in England,
traditionally served on Good Friday. They are slightly sweet, emblazoned
with a cross and best served hot with a little butter. Unfortunately,
that pesky cross is worrying some local authorities over in the UK. The
Sunday Telegraph is reporting that schools in a number of regions have
been ordered not to serve the buns this Easter lest they “offend”
children of a non-Christian faith. It’s yet another reminder that
'diversity' means nothing of the sort.
To its credit, the Muslim Council of Britain has called the decision
“very, very bizarre”. One of its spokesmen is quoted by the Telegraph as
follows:
"This is absolutely amazing. At the moment, British Muslims are very
concerned about the upcoming war with Iraq and are hardly going to be
taken aback by a hot cross bun
Unfortunately actions like this can only
create a backlash and it is not very thoughtful. I wish they would leave
us alone. We are quite capable of articulating our own concerns and if we
find something offensive, we will say so. We do not need to rely on other
people to do it for us
British Muslims have been quite happily eating and
digesting hot cross buns for many years and I don't think they are
suddenly going to be offended."
Well said.