[GCFL-discuss] Supreme Court (groan)

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jul 5 10:09:51 CDT 2005

I suspect that we can all agree that some of the justices are clowns ;-)
and they are clean.
I also suspect that Siarlys and I will sharply disagree about which ones.

greenBubble
Don't be too sure of that. I find it ludicrous that the media, and
various pressure groups, keep casting Supreme Court justices, and federal
appeals court circuits, as "good" or "bad" or "liberal" or conservative"
etc. ad nauseum.

There are times when I thank God for Rehnquist and Scalia (as when they
rein in congress's use of the interstate commerce clause to give the feds
authority to pass a law about anything under the sun), and occasionally
even Thomas, who can be a bit of a clown. There are times when I am
shocked by Stevens. (For example, his dissent in Boy Scouts of America v.
Dale, when he made a detailed inquiry into whether and how opposition to
gay lifestyles is a part of the scouts' expressive message. Who cares?
The important principle, freedom of association, says that is none of the
government's business.) I would not have nominated Breyer, who is too
pragmatic to be sitting at the highest level intepreting a constitution
-- I prefer Hugo Black's unambiguous, "when the First Amendment says
congress shall pass no law, it means Congress shall pass NO law." But
Breyer made the right call on the Texas ten commandments case.

So, to keep this short, I really couldn't say any of the justices are
consistently clowns, and I could not with any accuracy classify them by
political polarity either.