[GCFL-discuss] Subject: Fractured Dictionary - Deserts and Desserts

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Jul 16 00:19:49 CDT 2005

Siarlys

Good catch!

You caught me on that one! However, the deserts in the US are in the west; I lived in three of them! And I frequently ate dessert in the desert, and I ate it first! No, I didn't eat the desert, I ate dessert!

Of course, dessert could belong in the west and not the east if we're talking about countries in the world. Some Korean women I work with as a language partner tell me that they don't eat many desserts. They're appalled that their children have picked up the habit of eating sweets while they've been living here in the states for a year or two. At Christmas time, as a group, several of us American bakers helped a group of Korean moms make Christmas cookies. They liked the coconut apricot cookies, which were not very sweet, but their children loved the frosted sugar cookies! At another function, they brought Korean cake, which is not sweet at all by American standards. They preferred strawberry shortcake without whipped cream or ice cream. Interesting cultural differences.

Kay
Life is short - Eat dessert first! Especially when you're in the desert!