[GCFL-discuss] thursday

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Mar 15 13:04:50 CST 2005

At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I think it has to do with
stereotypes.
Correctly or not, the stereotypical Irishman is always drinks and is always
drunk.
Therefore, if you celebrate bring Irish, you celebrate being drunk.

greenBubble

I'm wondering how St. Patty's Day became an excuse for people to get
ridiculously drunk and for banks to take a day off. How does that possible
celebrate what Patrick did for the Irish people?

Now, I live in an area with much Irish influence. St. Patrick's Day is
pretty big here, but the only things that happen are the wearing of green,
possibly speaking in an Irish accent on occasion throughout the day, banks
being closed on Monday, and copious quantities of alcohol consumption.

~Quama