[GCFL-discuss] In the beginning...

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Mar 31 21:27:28 CST 2005

n Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:44:50 -0600 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
> Siarlys, I'm interested in how the Xlibris Publishing
> Service works from a first hand author.  Can you explain
> the process you went through to get your book published?
> Can you tell us what percentage of the cost goes to you?
>
> I've toyed with the idea of writing a book and Xlibris
> sounds like a great option, but I wonder how many books I
> would have to sell before actually making any money (not
> that profit is the only motive, but it is a factor).
> Also, what rights do you retain?  Can you later publish
> with someone else?
>
> As much information as you are willing to share about the
> process would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

The service seems to be the result of two factors: (1) it is much more
difficult to find any publisher (since the same conglomerates own all
labels and imprints) to take an interest in anyone who is unknown and
lacks inside connections, and (2) technology is available which allows
for printing out an individual book, when an order is received, rather
than having to print and stockpile a few thousand copies.

Now that you have checked the web site and found out the basics, I'm not
sure how much personal feedback I have left to offer. So far, the
information on the Xlibris web site seems accurate. They do not proof,
edit, or do anything to your manuscript (unless you pay for it) -- and I
did find a few errors I had missed in my own work every time I reviewed a
galley. You are legally liable for the content -- for any permissions
needed, etc. You pay them a flat fee ($500 to $1600, depending on the
level of service you want), they make the book available, then its all up
to you. They will sell you marketing services for an extra price, they
will proof it for an extra price, etc. I even had to pay extra to have
footnotes in my book -- and I thought the footnotes were essential. I
took the cheapest service available -- couldn't even think about the
others. I would guess it will take 100 books sold directly by Xlibris to
recover my costs, or 500 sold through a wholesaler.

Once you are ready, you place an order by web or mail, email a Word file
with your text, pay them the amount required, and they start working on
it. I understand all their books will soon be cross-referenced to a new
Google service whenever a page in the book contains a search word a
person is looking for -- but that is not up and running yet.