[GCFL-discuss] Re: How Secure Are Our Mothers?

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 9 00:07:46 CDT 2005

Well said!

Lance
John 8:32 "You will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

On Sun, 8 May 2005 22:06:19 -0400 gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net writes:
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

U.S. to Spend Billions More to Alter Security Systems
By ERIC LIPTON
After spending more than $4.5 billion, the federal
government has concluded that much of the antiterrorism
equipment is ineffective.

- QUOTATION OF THE DAY -

"After 9/11, we had to show how committed we were by spending hugely
greater amounts of money than ever before, as rapidly as possible. That
brought us what we might expect, which is some expensive mistakes. This
has been the difficult learning curve of the new discipline known as
homeland security."
- REP. CHRISTOPHER COX, a California Republican who is the chairman of
the Homeland
Security Committee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/08/national/08screen.html?th&emc=th

Perhaps the Dept. of Homeland Security needs to watch the old movie,
"Battle of Algiers." The key line from the script is when the French
colonel sent to get a grip on a rapidly deteriorating urban military
situation tells his staff "You can forget about all those checkpoints to
examine ID. If anyone has their ID in order it is the terrorists."

More generally, it would be better if our national leaders took some time
to consider what is sensible, what has some hope of doing some good, and
how best to go about it, rather than feeling impelled to spend billions
of dollars to show how much they care. And let's be honest, no amount of
money and no security measures can make us absolutely safe if someone is
determined to attack.