[GCFL-discuss] Re: New Advance Directive

gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon May 9 15:17:00 CDT 2005

Siarlys,

As a person with several systemic disorders,  I loved
the "New Advance Directive" when a friend sent it to
me. I sent it out to almost everybody on my mailing
list with this precaution: Some of you may be offended
by the language, remarks about religion, or remarks
about politics. Please try to overlook them and absorb
the message.

I appreciate your thoughtful discussion of the terms
"peckerwood" (not offensive to me), "ethically
challenged politicians" (wish I had thought up that
description), "fundamentalist" (especially your
description of Osama bin Laden), and "religious
zealots" (I've known too many of them).

Like your friend who has struggled with polio and
post-polio syndrome, I work at keeping myself as
functional as possible and, like her, have blocked out
a life for myself in spite of all the body
dysfunctions. It is difficult, but possible. I have
choices: I can sit at home and wallow in self pity
about what life has dealt (and I do have days when
that happens) or I can get out in the community and
give back the kind of help that was given to me that
enables me to function now.

Thanks for reminding me to be grateful for what I
have.

kateinmo