[GCFL-discuss] Rudolph...

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Nov 8 19:04:49 CST 2005

When people talk about "Putting Christ back in Christmas" they often
think about some obscure Supreme Court decision (which actually said its
fine to leave the creche right where it is in the city park, and a
menorah, and a star, and a tree, but many people don't know that). This
year, the first incident to remind me of that classic phrase was an
advertising letter I received in the mail today, which began "For million
of families, the sure sign that Christmas is merrily on its way is when
they gather around the television to watch the beloved classic Rudolph
the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Of course they want me to buy a series of
sculptures which will arrived every other month for a substantial sum of
money -- and therefore won't even be complete until next Christmas at the
earliest. Actually, for me, the sure sign that Christmas is merrily on
its way is when I pull out my Celtic Christmas CD with the beautiful
chorus

Awake! Awake! Let holy shouts arise.
See Israel's star, see Israel's star
Appear in yonder skies.