[GCFL-discuss] Ten Commandments: Hype and Reality

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Nov 16 20:56:13 CST 2005

I recieved a patently fraudulent email appeal today for a "Ten
Commandments Day." The foundation for this call to hysteria is a flat
statement that the United States Supreme Court ruled against displays of
the Ten Commandments in court houses in Kentucky AND Texas.

The truth is, the Supreme Court ruled against such a display in two court
houses in Kentucky, and ruled in favor of Texas retaining a large granite
monument inscribed with the Ten Commandments on the grounds of the state
capitol. As a result of the ruling on the Texas case, over 5000 public
displays of the Decalogue are deemed safe from challenges in the courts,
accordingly to Jay Sekulow, director of the American Center for Law and
Justice. "Civil liberties groups" have lost any grounds they once though
they had to intimidate local governments into removing such monuments.

It will be a very sad day for Judeo-Christian values if a "Ten
Commandments Day" is organized by means of a blatant violation of the 9th
Commandment, probably motivated by violation of the 10th Commandment, and
possibly violating the 3rd Commandment in the process. Our nation is not
AT the crossroads on this issue, we have PASSED the crossroads with
flying colors. And for that, to God be the glory.