[GCFL-discuss] 'When I grow up'

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Wed Nov 16 20:51:19 CST 2005

Hi Lance,

greenBubble already replied to this, but I have a couple of points to
add. The original meaning of "Taking the Lord's name in vain" was, very
simply, the act of uttering the Name of the deity except when explicitly
allowed by religious law for an approved reason. (As greenBubble said, in
Jewish tradition this meant only by the High Priest, and then only on
authorized occasions within the Temple). Pagan cultures believed that if
the "secret name" of their patron god were discovered by an enemy, that
enemy could defeat them in battle. The letters JHWH, also known as the
Tetragrammaton (Greek for "four letters") was a way of referring to the
name by consonants without divulging exactly what it is. The names Yaweh
and Jehovah are variants on the same set of consonants. El or Elohim
translate more generally as "G-d" or as gods (in the plural pagan sense).
The world elohim, plural, means man gods. Used with a singular
conjugation, this plural word mean THE G-d, who possesses ALL the
attributes pagans gave to one or another of their gods. That is the
little I know, there is a lot more to it.

Siarlys

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:22:42 GMT "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies