[GCFL-discuss] White Sox

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Oct 29 19:08:40 CDT 2005

I bet you are churning the waters over there, Siarlys.  Keep up the good
work.
The thing about Halloween that freaks me out is the HUGE emphasis placed on
it.  We used to trick-or-treat as kids and there was nothing weird going on
that I knew about.  Now it's nearly a federal holiday.  Many of our
neighbors have their homes decorated more for Halloween than anyone nearby
does for Christmas!  And everyone who is a conservative Christian is afraid
of the emphasis placed on the "dark side" of Halloween.  As an aside, I have
a friend that was ritually abused and Halloween is a very dark time for her.
It's a bad time, period.
The solution our family came up with a few years ago has been to rent some
fun family movies (2 or 3), turn out the porch lights and each child gets to
buy a bag or two of their favorite candies.  We don't want anyone to be sad
about missing the candy part of Halloween -- that was my personal favorite
part.
I like the Harvest Festivals some of the schools and churches put on around
here.  Bobbing for apples, dunk tanks, mazes, CANDY, and roasted corn on the
cob, etc.  What could be better?!?
Beats sweating in a costume for 3 hours.  We are still in the 80s here in
the Sonoran Desert.
But now I have a 4 year old who wears Princess dresses all the time and I
would love to "show her off".  What to do... what to do...
Jeanene