[GCFL-discuss] question for whoever.

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Apr 15 09:47:43 CDT 2006

I can't say about Baptist churches, I've only visited one occasionally,
but they seem to teach the same as the Methodist denomination I belong
to, and a few others I have visited. Most Protestant churches teach
tithing one way or another. There is a good deal of Old Testament
reference to tithing (like Malachi 3), none I know of in the New
Testament. (A friend of mine maintains this means it no longer applies).
Some churches are really up in your face about it, singing songs about
cheerful giving that amount to brow-beating. Some just teach it, and then
people give what they are going to give. Some teach if you tithe you will
be "blessed" (materially) and if you don't you will lose out. My pastor
remarked that if you give with the intention of getting something back,
you have already tainted the gift. There was, in the middle ages, a
Catholic teaching that "one tenth of all you own belongs to the Church."
But Catholic priests were supported by "livings" -- the revenue from
estates deeded to the church by pious nobles concerned for their soul.
Protestants have had to collect the money every week to pay expenses,
including some kind of living for the minister. greenBubble could tell us
the original intent of Jewish prophets teaching tithing, but I think it
included storing up resources for troubled times, not just supporting the
priests and the Temple.

Siarlys

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:08:56 -0400 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
I don't drink alcoholic beverages either,  I guess I really like Iced tea
the best.  It's a southern thing.  No hangover or dead brain cells.  I
need all I've got.
Question for whoever:
What do the Baptist teach about tithing...that is giving 10% of your
income to the church.  Since the Lord loves a "cheerful giver",  there is
no point in brow-beating  anyone to give beyond what they feel good
about.  I'm just curious about their teaching.
The Baptist church is very strong in our area and they seem to have no
shortage of funds.
Carla