[GCFL-discuss] FW: Dear Abby 12/14/06

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Dec 14 10:45:01 CST 2006

This is today's  Dear Abby column.
greenBubble

Dear Abby by Abigail Van Buren

SOME PEOPLE AND OCCUPATIONS MATCH WELL WITH THEIR NAMES

DEAR ABBY: Not long ago you wrote a column that mentioned funny names
that match people's occupations. I am submitting two more: Prior to our
wedding, my husband and I had the state-required blood tests. They were
administered by a Dr. Fix. (We later read that Dr. Fix was caught giving
himself one, and was arrested on drug charges.) The minister who married
us was aptly named Dr. Comfort. -- ANN B., ARCHER, FLA.

DEAR ANN: Thanks for a "Fixer"-upper of a letter. It arrived with a
bushel of mail from other readers offering names that match occupations.
Read on:

DEAR ABBY: One of my dearest friends is a professional landscaper of
golf courses, highways and schools. His name? Ross Weed! -- BONNIE G.
CHAPIN, S.C.

DEAR ABBY: My husband, last name Graves, is a funeral director. --
DIANNE G., RIPLEY, MISS.

DEAR ABBY: The first time I took my grandchildren to their doctor, their
regular physician was on vacation. The doctor who was filling in for him
was named Dr. Needle. I kid you not. -- THERESA S., SPARROW BUSH, N.Y.

DEAR ABBY: When I was in college, the disciplinary dean's name was Dick
Justice. -- BRIAN S., NAPERVILLE, ILL.

DEAR ABBY: I have a couple of names that take the cake. I am a nurse in
a large hospital in central Wisconsin. We had a plastic surgeon named
Dr. Hacker, and if that wasn't enough, his resident was Dr. Wacker. Not
surprisingly, their patients required a lot of reassurance. Wouldn't
you? -- LORI FROM THE DAIRY STATE

DEAR ABBY: While I was serving at the Marine Corps Schools in Quantico,
Va., my best friend took me with him when he had his vasectomy. His
physician's name was Dr. D. Nutter. -- PAT M., DALLAS

DEAR ABBY: There is a dentist here in my city whose hygienist's last
name is Toothacher. -- GLEN IN TEXAS

DEAR ABBY: In Portland, Ore., where I reside, there are three
orthodontists: Dr. Payne, Dr. Fear and Dr. Rensch (pronounced "Wrench")!

DEAR ABBY: I swear this is true: When I visited my first gynecologist
when I was in college (the University of Massachusetts at Amherst), his
name was Dr. Clapp. -- V. COOK, BLUE HILL, MAINE

DEAR ABBY: When I worked at a major hospital, from time to time I would
see trauma victims with the attending doctor's name being "Dr. Kill."
Initially I thought it was a hospital code for victims who might still
be at risk. As it turned out, Dr. Kill is a practicing physician. --
SABRINA IN SAN DIEGO

DEAR ABBY: My greatest nightmare of a college textbook was for a class
called "History and Systems of Psychology." It was better than a
sleeping pill. It put students to sleep in 10 seconds flat. The author?
Edwin G. Boring. -- KAY IN MILLFORD, DEL.

DEAR ABBY: My father, mother and sister all see the same psychiatrist,
and have for more than 15 years. His name is Dr. Looney. Seriously. --
READER IN HUNTSVILLE, TEXAS

DEAR READER: I'd say Dr. Looney is running a family practice.

________________________________

Dear Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also known as Jeanne
Phillips, and was founded by her mother, Pauline Phillips. Write Dear
Abby at www.DearAbby.com
<http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/dearabby_form.html>  or P.O. Box
69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

________________________________

To order "How to Write Letters for All Occasions," send a
business-sized, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for
$6 (U.S. funds) to: Dear Abby -- Letter Booklet, P.O. Box 447, Mount
Morris, IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included in the price.)

COPYRIGHT 2006 UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE

(c)2006 Universal Press Syndicate
Buy <http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/permissions/index.htm>  this comic
for your site or publication?
Buy one time reprint
<http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/permissions/index.htm>  right?
<http://www.mycomicspage.com/free/offers.html?ref=ucdemail>
<http://www.gocomics.com/store/>
<http://postcards.ucomics.com/send/?uc_full_date=20061214&uc_comic=da&si
te_ref=ucomics>  <http://www.gocomics.com/dearabby>
My Comics Page
<https://register.uclick.com/reg/sign-in?ref=ucdemail&product_id=200&off
er_id=001>
<http://ads.uclick.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/email.ucomics.com/emai
lda_html1.cfm at x30>

Find out more about uclick, LLC
<http://images.ucomics.com/images/ui2/uclick_btm_logo.gif>
2006 uclick, LLC.
uclick, 4520 Main Street, Suite 500, Kansas City, Missouri 64111.
All rights reserved.

 <http://sentinel.uclick.com/ucomics_email/html/20061214/da.gif>
<http://sentinel.uclick.com/ucomics_email/un/20061214/ea33ebef468e2356a1
37c163e106a829/da.gif>

and are intended only for the addressee(s).
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to Central.SecurityOffice at siemens.com

Thank you