[GCFL-discuss] Caution when handling turtles

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Jul 10 14:42:16 CDT 2006

Oh fun! Another wonderful turtle scare. I own a tortoise. And the funny
thing is, you're supposed to wash your hands after handling ANY pet. Not
just reptiles. One of the biggest reasons we have salmonella issues was
because we allowed carnivol junkies handing out baby turtles and pinning
them to kids shirts. The issue is real, but not if you teach kids correctly
and you always wash your hands after handling any animal!

Lance
On 7/10/06, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List <
gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net> wrote:

>  The following is an important reminder from yesterday's (Sunday) Dear
> Abby.
>
> CONFIDENTIAL TO MY READERS: The FDA has asked me to remind you that pet
> turtles may be harmful to your children's health. Small turtles are a source
> of a disease called "salmonellosis" in humans. It's caused by salmonella
> bacteria, which occur naturally in turtles.
>
> Symptoms may include diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever and
> headache. Symptoms usually begin six to 72 hours after exposure, and
> generally last two to seven days.
>
> Anyone can get salmonella infection, but the risk is highest in infants
> and young children, the elderly, and people with lowered natural resistance
> to disease due to pregnancy, cancer, chemotherapy, organ transplants,
> diabetes and liver problems.
>
> Readers, if you or your children come into contact with, or handle
> turtles, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Sales of
> turtles with shells less than 4 inches in length have been banned in the
> United States since 1975 because of the public health impact of
> turtle-associated salmonellosis.
>
> Dear Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also known as Jeanne Phillips,
> and was founded by her mother, Pauline Phillips. Write Dear Abby at *
> www.DearAbby.com* <http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/dearabby_form.html> or
> P.O. Box 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.
>
> Abby shares more than 100 of her favorite recipes in two booklets: "Abby's
> Favorite Recipes" and "More Favorite Recipes by Dear Abby." Send a
> business-size, self-addressed envelope, plus check or money order for $12 (
> U.S. funds) to: Dear Abby -- Cookbooklet Set, P.O. Box 447, Mount Morris,
> IL 61054-0447. (Postage is included in price.)
>
> COPYRIGHT 2006 UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE
>
> *Zvi Freund*

> This message and any included attachments are from Siemens Medical
> Solutions
> USA, Inc. and are intended only for the addressee(s).
> The information contained herein may include trade secrets or privileged
> or
> otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
> printing,
> copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited
> and may
> be unlawful. If you received this message in error, or have reason to
> believe
> you are not authorized to receive it, please promptly delete this message
> and
> notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to
> Central.SecurityOffice at shs.siemens.com
>
> Thank you

No animals were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few million electrons were extremely inconvenienced...