[GCFL-discuss] Rafting with a hole in your raft

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jun 20 18:24:22 CDT 2006

Rafting with a hole in your raft

Over the weekend I went river rafting with my kids.  It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying myself as we floated along, when I ran into a stick just 1/2 hour into the trip.  The stick poked a good size hole in my raft.  I immediately put my finger over the hole, and  asked my grandson if we had a long while to go on the river.  He said yes with this serious look on his face.

Not wanting to spoil the trip, I kept my finger over that hole for 2 more hours.  It worked, it kept the raft afloat!  I went over the rocks and got stuck in trees a few times since I couldn't steer very well with only one arm, but one of the family always got me going again.  Just as we got to the end of our route the raft went flat and my son helped me get to shore.  I enjoyed the ride and tried not to let the problem spoil my experience.

This is so much like life.  We are sailing along when a problem threatens us.  We have to do what we can to stay afloat, sometimes we need the help of others to keep us going.  We can still enjoy the ride or we can panic and make it worse.
God is watching us and we are not alone on this trip.  He will see us through and we will arrive at the shore and it will have been a good trip.  We will be relieved that We Made It!

At the end of the trip, my son was saying I can't believe you made it that far with a hole as big as that!  And perhaps that's how it will be at the end of our trip.  How could we make it that far without sinking?  It will be the grace of God, and  the help of our friends and family that kept us moving along.

Carla