[GCFL-discuss] hydranenencephaly

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 25 22:34:46 CDT 2006

I will have to read again what Barb wrote -- in general, the brain is almost completely gone and they live with just a brainstem.  When you transilluminate the head of a baby with hydranencephaly, the entire head glows because there is only cerebral spinal fluid (csf) in their little heads.  Some children have patches of brain matter, not connected to anything necessarily.  I'm sure that's what Barb is referring to.  If they have any notable brain matter (other than the brain stem), then their diagnosis is something other than hydranencephaly.
A child who is born anencephalic (no brain) does not have a chance for survival beyond a few hours.  Very sad indeed.  They also are born with deformed heads as there was never a brain to hold the skull out.  In Hydranencephaly, there was a brain at some point and then there was a vascular accident of some sort (stroke) and the brain dissolved into CSF.
I will bring your comments to the attention of our fearless leader -- I did not make up the little slogan, another mom did.  I am just using it because it says there is more to consciousness than a complete brain.
Jeanene
A child born with Hydranencephaly is one of Life's Little Miracles.
They live, laugh, and love -- all without a brain.
www.hydranencephaly.com