[GCFL-discuss] Polygamy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Nov 6 15:01:01 CST 2006

Interesting.

Yes Siarlys, I know I'm supposed to have something more in depth... but I
got nada...

OOooh...

How does many wives not get labeled as adultery? Wouldn't going after a
second wife constitute adultery?

Lance

On 11/6/06, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List <
gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net> wrote:

> Whether a man has one wife or a thousand, each marriage is a union
> between one man and one woman.
>

> greenBubble
>

> Subject: [GCFL-discuss] Polygamy
>
> Here is an interesting twist on the claim that G-d ordained marriage to
> be the union of one man and one woman:
>
> I asked an Orthodox rabbi, who is planning to vote yes on a marriage
> amendment next week, how it was possible for King David, and King
> Solomon, to have multiple wives, not even getting into all their
> additional concubines.
>
> He responded "Whatever gave you the idea that the Torah bans polygamy?"
> (The Torah is Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. These
> books of course contain most of "the Law" which Christians refer to as
> Old Testament -- although the prophets and other writings expound on it
> good deal.
>
> Well, I haven't been able to find any such thing. In the absence of such
> a foundation in the Torah, I'm not sure Jesus ever came down firmly for
> monogamy over polygamy either. (He said some things about divorce, but
> did not specify that a man could not have other wives at the same time).
> PAUL used language about a man being "the husband of one wife." But
> where
> does THAT come from if it was not part of Jewish law?
>
> I am told that among Ashkenazi Jews in Europe, polygamy was formally
> ended (it hardly existed anyway -- Jewish men were too poor to afford a
> second wife) because French Christians were agitating about Jews being
> polygamous. This, however, did not apply to Sephardic Jews, who were
> living in Muslim caliphates, where polygamy was also acceptable.
>
> So maybe the Mormons were correct? I prefer monogamy, and none of this
> provides any basis for issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples,
> but
> the complex possibilities in any such discussion puts simple slogans on
> billboards and lawn signs to shame.

> This message and any included attachments are from Siemens Medical
> Solutions
> and are intended only for the addressee(s).
> The information contained herein may include trade secrets or privileged
> or
> otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding,
> printing,
> copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited
> and may
> be unlawful. If you received this message in error, or have reason to
> believe
> you are not authorized to receive it, please promptly delete this message
> and
> notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to
> Central.SecurityOffice at siemens.com
>
> Thank you

No animals were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few million electrons were extremely inconvenienced...