[GCFL-discuss] Mormon Polygamy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Nov 9 12:52:17 CST 2006

Lance & Frank,

  Lance, yes, the Mormons do admit to polygamy having been doctrine until it was "revealed" that it should no longer be practiced by church members. It's no coincidence that the revelation came shortly after the U.S. outlawed polygamy. Just as it's no coincidence that African Americans were not allowed to hold the priesthood until the early 1980's when it was "revealed" that they should be allowed to do so. D'ya think public and governmental pressure had anything to do with that new revelation?

  Frank, you were right on that "one of the reasons the Mormons' practiced  polygamy was because in the early days of the church there were many more women than men in the church. This was a way to help provide for and take care of these women."  However, there were many men who practiced polygamy on their own, without sanction from the Mormon Church. After polygamy was no longer a tenet of the Mormons, those who practiced polygamy were excommunicated. The groups in Utah and Arizona that today actively practice polygamy are usually descendants of those members excommunicated for continuing the practice. The state government's don't prosecute them, usually because they don't want all the publicity.

  I find it interesting that several women in Utah who left polygamous marriages formed a support group for themselves and other women who left or want to leave, and most of their inquiries come from outside Utah. The Utah women believe they will not be safe if they leave, no matter how much assurance they get from the support group that they will be safe and taken care of.

  Also of note is the fact that the Mormon Church has closed its historical records to researchers, even to active church members. Too many articles and books were written about the negative aspects of the early church. Too bad the Mormons haven't figured out that each of us has something in our background we'd rather not have anybody else know about.

  kateinmo

    By way of information for those who may not know,  one of the reasons the 'Mormons' practiced  polygamy was because in the early days of the church there were many more women than men in the church.  This was a way to help provide for and take care of these women.
  Frank

They have lots of "reasons" for it. But it was doctrine for a long time. Which makes me very unsure of all of their excuses for why it happened... if they even admit to it happening.
I lived in UT for 8 years. If that means anything for the number of peeps I've talked to.