[GCFL-discuss] Remembrance (with a minor Correction)

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Sep 19 20:12:23 CDT 2006

That's what I thought.

Incidentally, I expect Lee would agree. By all accounts, he opposed
secession, remarked that if he owned every slave in the south he would
free them all to save the union, and to save the union he would sacrifice
anything but honor. He could not bring himself to lift his sword against
his native state. And, having declined command of the federal forces, he
was naturally in demand by his state, and by the confederate army, and
did a darned fine job of it. His military skill probably did more to
secure passage of the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments than all the
speeches in Congress for twenty years before and after the war combined.

Siarlys

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:05:07 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies