[GCFL-discuss] Fw: [GCFL.net] Happy Birthday, America

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Jul 5 21:16:45 CDT 2007

Johnny Cash does a nice job with this one -- I've heard it on the radio
now and then -- especially since he distinguishes in an off-hand way that
blends right into the tune between patriotism and blind obedience. ("And
the government for which she stands
Is scandalized throughout the land.") I don't favor laws against flag
burning, but I do uphold the right of those who disagree to surround and
outnumber the flag burners and, short of assault, make pointed remarks as
to their own position. Its hard to take unadulterated pride in a flag
that has flown in so many situations where we were obviously wrong -- but
I can't think of another that can equal it. On the other hand, I kind of
like the IWW anti-recruiting song from WW I:

I love my flag, I do I do,
That floats upon the breeze,
I also love my eyes and ears
And neck and nose and knees.
One little shell might spoil them all
Or give them such a twist,
They would be of no use to me
I guess I won't enlist.

I love my country yes I do
I hope her folks do well,
Without our arms and legs and things
I think we'd look like <borderline for a good clean service>
Young men with faces half shot off
Are unfit to be kissed.
I've read in books it spoils their looks
I guess I won't enlist.

Many who sang that song DID enlist in WW II, or volunteered in the
Spanish Civil War -- it all depends on what you are facing and what is
worth putting yourself on the line for. Happy Independence Day -- the
birth of the notion that an individual citizen is NOT a subject.