[GCFL-discuss] Resolutions

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Aug 23 20:10:10 CDT 2008

My goal for the next two months is to inspire two members of this
discussion group to vote for Barack Obama in November. Jeanene is out,
and no doubt takes that as a compliment, which she is entitled to do. For
very different reasons, greenBubble is also a lost cause this time
around, although I think he may vote to re-elect President Obama in 2012,
after seeing four years of results. There is much on greenBubble's mind
that he just can't trust to an unknown variable about whom so many things
are said.

I think my best prospects are Lance, and John Price. Lance, of course,
has said that he is thinking very carefully about which candidate to
support (now that we know Hillary will NOT be the VP pick), and has many
principled concerns to weigh. As for John, there are already many combat
veterans, who have voted in the past for Ronald Reagan or even George W.
Bush, who have openly endorsed Obama. This is a man who may take
Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia... why not
Alabama? Besides, how could anyone with a sense of humor vote for McCain?

I have my own doubts of course. It is always a disappointment to me when
a candidate I intend to vote for does not take exactly the same position
that I would take if I were the candidate, when they turn out to be a
unique individual, not a clone of my own mind, when they answer a
question half-baked, while I can see a brilliant answer they should have
given. I am tempted to reference Sen. Biden as "Obama's Cheney" --
because there are some slight similarities in picking someone who has
what the man at the top of the ticket hasn't got. I used to refer to
Cheney as "Bush's brain." Biden's role is a little different, but worth
some laughter along the way.

Here's my first offering:

Barack Obama will do more than any other candidate to inspire the rest of
the world to love and respect the USA again. Given the right tools,
McCain could inspire the world to fear the USA again -- but really, with
the Bank of China holding a huge part of our national debt, and foreign
companies buying a good part of our economy, he might just make the world
laugh if he tried. Our armed forces are stretched thin. We used to
INSPIRE people around the world. The used to look to us with HOPE (no pun
intended). Obama could inspire people to actually look favorably on
America.

I read an article by a reporter hanging out in Egypt, listening to
average Joes in corner coffee houses or whatever, asking each other "Can
you imagine that happening here? No way." The reporter filled in between
the lines: a Coptic Christian elected president of Egypt? A Shia Muslim
become prime minister of Saudi Arabia? A Bahai become president of Iran?
But we can cheerfully elect the son of a Kenyan goatherd and a woman from
Kansas whose sister is half Asian.

Sure, liberals claim him as their own, but where else do they have to go?
They may not identify with "we worship an awesome God in the blue
states," but Mr. Chambers from Nebraska hasn't got a chance. Is
moveon.org going to endorse McCain? The libertarian candidate? His books
are not liberal books, and in my mind, what a candidate wrote at length
before the campaign is a better guide to the judgment they will bring to
office. The whole point is to break up the old tired polarities of
American politics, which make sense only to the commentators, who have
done their best to redefine him in their own terms.

More to follow, if anyone cares enough to take pot shots.