[GCFL-discuss] green is NY

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Mon Jan 21 21:20:50 CST 2008

I think we should have the option of voting for NONE OF THE ABOVE. Also,
if in the final election, nobody gets 55%, we should run it again with a
new set of candidates, while the wife of the top vote-getter serves as
caretaker.

The silver lining for Wisconsin when GWB was elected president was that
Tommy Thompson was kicked upstairs to become secretary of HEW. He played
some funny games there, centralizing press interviews for the entire
health bureaucracy so he would have "one department speaking with one
voice." It sounded sort of like "ein reich, ein volk, ein tommy." But he
couldn't do as much damage as he did when he was governor.

I think what most New Yorkers saw in Hillary was that she was not the
lackluster Republican who wasn't the liberal they were more or less
inclined toward, although I sympathized with the people I saw on the
street collecting signatures for a Democratic primary alternative.

It is incredible hubris for her to run, no matter how much she aches to
get the reins of power in her own hot little hands, because she is the
Democrat most likely to lose. Even if she ekes out a majority, she won't
be able to lead effectively, because the opposition will be large and
intractable. Oh well, that's enough about Hillary. I don't think she will
be nominated. I'm inclined toward an Obama/Edwards ticket. It would be a
disappointment for Edwards to run for second spot again, but, he probably
can't be the nominee, and, he has a lot to offer. He could have swung a
couple of southern states in 04 if Kerry's strategists hadn't been stupid
and written off the entire south.

Siarlys

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:53:15 -0500 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Jeanene
A sad emoticon is :-(.
Many New Yorkers talked of moving out of NY if hillary would get elected
senator, but few actually did, as far as i know.
i can't fathom what NYers saw in her then, or what people see in her now.
 of course, one benefit to NYers of her becoming president, would be that
we'd be rid of her as senator.
My problem is that i don't see any choices that are better.

Too bad they can't all lose.
greenBubble

Subject: Re: [GCFL-discuss] Dull

Nope, nuh-uh, not happening, negatory, no way, guess again.
I was BORN into a Baptist home and when I moved away from home chose a
community church that believed in the 5 points of Calvinism and was
reformed (as in The Reformation) in its theology.  My father thought I
had joined a cult!  For the past 20 years I have been active in the
Evangelical Covenant Church which grew out of Sweden.  Our church is
friendly, active in the community, and Bible-based.  Sadly, our pastor
does NOT believe in predestination or preach about the sovereignty of
God.  He believes in the free will of man.
I don't even remember a discussion of Episcopalians and
homosexuality/marriage.  That must have been on a different discussion
list.  I read a book called "Growing Up Baptist" and I laughed so hard I
thought I would bust a gut.  It was true on so many levels and yet wasn't
offensive because I felt like I was poking fun at it myself.

I have been privileged to attend Evensong at Oxford University.  Was a
bishop involved in that?

I now think of you as a male, I'll have you know.  My elder, but not yet
50.  Maybe I'll send you a picture of me sitting in a pew with a bulletin
in my hand with the piano/pianist in the background and the pastor behind
the pulpit.  Too bad I only have memories of those images, not actual
pictures.

And what's up with the last comment?!?  I think it might have hurt my
feelings!  (Now how do I make an emoticon that is a crying, sad face?)

Jeanene