[GCFL-discuss] Burgess Amish Tucker

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu Jan 24 18:50:06 CST 2008

I'm not sure I want to look at every tragedy in the world and say, God
willed that it should happen. No doubt God does some things that seem
painful which turn out for good, and some things happen in ways we
wouldn't have chosen that we can look back on and say, oh, that really
put me in a good place. But there have been many moving stories about
people who blamed God for their loss -- the most moving of course include
how they eventually overcame their rejection, but it doesn't always
happen. Bronner's dad dealt well with what happened to his family. I have
found it more sustaining to say, when things go well, Praise the Lord,
when they don't, things obviously are not yet in line with how God
intends for them to be. Otherwise we get people proclaiming that God
deliberately inflicted hurricane Katrina, or asking what did God have
against several thousand children living around the Indian Ocean. The
Amish community had a twisted human being to blame, not an act of God,
and had the grace to reach out to his innocent family while grieving for
their loss. That was amazing, as amazing as the brother of the woman
killed by Karla Faye Tucker going to see her and saying "I forgive you."
But think how wonderful it must have felt once it was said.

Charlie

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:06:13 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
> Bronner's dad's reaction to the death of his son reminds me so much
> of the Amish community's response to the death of their children at the

> hand of a monster.  Their reaction (and his) perplexes us -- even me,
and I
> claim to be a born-again Christian who believes the Word of God.  It's
not
> natural, it's not normal.  It is beyond what we are capable of
> understanding. But I do believe in the supernatural gifts of grace and
mercy and
> the strength of God to inhabit a person in such a way that they think
> differently than the average person.  Bronner's father trusts in the
Almighty God to not