[GCFL-discuss] Goodbye Hillary

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue Jun 10 20:30:44 CDT 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 18:09:10 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
Comments?  Discussion?
I thought we would have heard from Siarlys already.
Jeanene

I was waiting for you Jeanene. I never know if anyone really wants to
talk about it. Where have Frank and that other older guy gotten to
anyway?

Of course I agree with Lance. It is such a blessing that Hillary Clinton
is NOT going to be our next president. She did get one good line in, when
Rush Limbaugh urged his followers to vote for her as a
sabotage-the-Democrats move, she replied "He's always had a crush on me."
Also, she somehow did inspire some millions of people I never thought she
could speak to, who fervently voted for her. But I suspect some of them
would have voted for McCain in the fall, even if Hillary were the
nominee.

I certainly don't want Hillary on the ticket. She and her sidekick will
assume that THEY are really in charge, the president only window
dressing. And, there are more people like Lance who will vote for McCain
if she IS on the ticket, than her supporters who will vote for McCain if
she is not.

One thing for sure: our next president will NOT be named "Clinton" or
"Bush." Amen.

Naturally, I disagree with Lance about even considering McCain. He was on
my will-not-vote-for list, along with Hillary, Romney and Giuliani, back
in 2007. When it comes to economic issues, he is stuck in the idea that
if wealthy people are protected, everyone else will somehow also be
prosperous. When it comes to Iraq, he misses the most fundamental point:
can someone please define what "victory" in this quagmire would consist
of?

In Vietnam, we at least knew that "victory" meant a ruthless, corrupt
dictatorship, despised by its own people (which is why they kept shooting
at our brave troops), a cabal of paper generals who considered it the job
of the U.S. to fight the war, while they lived lavishly off of U.S.
taxpayer subsidies, victory meant that these banal little criminals would
remain in Saigon and rule the entire country, or at least the southern
portion, forever.

In Iraq, we don't even have that. The most powerful faction in the
government our troops are dying for is just biding their time for us to
leave, and occasionally shooting at us. The rest of the government is
accepting our money, and it disappears into a thousand pockets without
restoring the reasonably comfortable civilian existence most Iraqis
enjoyed under Saddam Hussein. Our closest friends are the Sunni Arabs who
dominated the government we went there to overthrow. We are in the middle
of a civil war without any friends. So where does this guy get the idea
that there is any course to stay?

As Barack Obama said when we first went into Iraq, "I'm not against all
wars, I'm against dumb wars." And its true, Afghanistan is where our
priority should have been, and we're losing there because we are
stretched thin in Iraq.

IF we are going to stay in Iraq, it is time for "the American people"
(not that we have ever managed to assemble more than 60% of us in favor
of any political proposition, aside from maybe winning WW II, and then we
couldn't agree on what for), it is time for ALL of us to step up to the
plate. IF this war is worth fighting and winning, then lets stop
recycling a rather small volunteer military over and over to do all the
suffering and dying. Let's see a million advocates of "staying the
course" volunteer to enlist and go serve on the front lines. And then
let's see a million more, who don't really believe in the war, go over
there just because if our country is going to be there, we should all
share the prices, and nobody has more credibility saying the war is wrong
than someone who served in it.

Short of that, John McCain is a dud.

Sweepstakes!!!
Enter for your chance to WIN  a summer spa getaway!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/JKFkuJi7Ujj5CIalwVA7iFXluDd6ZmSvC3z5WpEZPttT7RJKT8YIEU/