[GCFL-discuss] Heresy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Tue May 13 23:23:13 CDT 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:12:24 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
> English, please, Siarlys.  That sounds strangely UNLIKE English.
> Jeanene

I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with half the terms you just used
Siarlys. :(
~Lance

OK, glad I waited until all the comments are in. Lance, I thought you
would know all about this stuff, because you often refer to religious
commentary that I never heard of. If you know about Calvin and Wesley and
Azusa, surely you would know something about this? Jeanene, I started
thinking about this after reading your description of the Catholic Church
in the Door discussion. And I thought EVERY Christian knew that Athansius
proposed that Jesus was simultaneously fully human and fully divine,
while Arias said no, he was fully human and the divine was somewhere
else. It used to be basic Sunday School stuff. Athansisus was accepted as
orthodox, which is why it appears in recitations like the Apostles Creed,
which was written centuries after the Apostles were all dead. Other stuff
is more obscure, and most of us don't know about them.

Pelagius was a Welsh monk who came to Rome, found everyone committing
hedonistic sins, and decided that if this is what comes of salvation
being a free gift of grace, maybe there was something to the idea that
salvation had to be earned by leading a moral life. He also rejected
original sin, which never made sense to me either, nor to anyone who has
ever tried to explain the original Hebrew meaning of Genesis, because its
not there.

What is fun about these topics is, most Christians have never really
thought about them, they probably have no great significance to God, yet
the church has spent centuries debating them. Which can either make you a
fan of Richard Dawkins, or, can lead you back to, OK, what was the most
significant sentence or two Jesus preached, good, now get this other
stuff out of my face. All theological debates end in such tangled
nonsense that theology itself is revealed to be useless.

Siarlys