[GCFL-discuss] Heresy

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Thu May 15 10:42:54 CDT 2008

Actually I know very little about the Calvinist. A gentleman in our Church's
named Calvin and they'd make jokes about it. So I know a little from that.
But that's really the extent of my knowledge.
Lance

On 5/13/08, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List <
gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net> wrote:

>  On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:12:24 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
> List" <gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net> writes:
> > English, please, Siarlys.  That sounds strangely UNLIKE English.
> > Jeanene
> >
>  I'm sorry, but I am not familiar with half the terms you just used
> Siarlys. :(
> ~Lance
>
> OK, glad I waited until all the comments are in. Lance, I thought you would
> know all about this stuff, because you often refer to religious commentary
> that I never heard of. If you know about Calvin and Wesley and Azusa, surely
> you would know something about this? Jeanene, I started thinking about this
> after reading your description of the Catholic Church in the Door
> discussion. And I thought EVERY Christian knew that Athansius proposed that
> Jesus was simultaneously fully human and fully divine, while Arias said no,
> he was fully human and the divine was somewhere else. It used to be basic
> Sunday School stuff. Athansisus was accepted as orthodox, which is why it
> appears in recitations like the Apostles Creed, which was written centuries
> after the Apostles were all dead. Other stuff is more obscure, and most of
> us don't know about them.
>
> Pelagius was a Welsh monk who came to Rome, found everyone committing
> hedonistic sins, and decided that if this is what comes of salvation being a
> free gift of grace, maybe there was something to the idea that salvation had
> to be earned by leading a moral life. He also rejected original sin, which
> never made sense to me either, nor to anyone who has ever tried to explain
> the original Hebrew meaning of Genesis, because its not there.
>
> What is fun about these topics is, most Christians have never really
> thought about them, they probably have no great significance to God, yet the
> church has spent centuries debating them. Which can either make you a fan of
> Richard Dawkins, or, can lead you back to, OK, what was the most significant
> sentence or two Jesus preached, good, now get this other stuff out of my
> face. All theological debates end in such tangled nonsense that theology
> itself is revealed to be useless.
>
> Siarlys

No animals were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a few million electrons were extremely inconvenienced...