[GCFL-discuss] Prodigous!

Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies List gcfl-discuss at gcfl.net
Sat Oct 4 19:12:44 CDT 2008

The Supreme Court has been tip-toe through the tulips on that subject.

Every time congress gets sufficient spine to pass a campaign finance
reform, somebody goes to court to denounce the law as an infringement of
free speech. The basic idea being, if you have the money to project your
speech on everyone's TV set, the government is barred by the First
Amendment from restricting your right to do so. The Supreme Court has
generally agreed.

On the other hand, some campaign finance laws have been left intact, by
some reasoning or other. It is constitutional to tax rich peeps and
corporations at a higher tax rate. The Supreme Court tried to ban that as
unconstitutional, but the ultimate trump card is a constitutional
amendment, which congress and the states passed (Sixteenth Amendment)
saying that a graduated income tax is allowed.

What gets in the way, is that rich corporate executives donate money to
campaign funds to convince average working families that "higher taxes"
are going to primarily hit them. The point of a graduated income tax is,
the highest percentages are ONLY paid on income ABOVE a certain level: if
you don't make $250,000, you don't pay the top rate. I never pay more
than 10% on any of my income. Of course I'd prefer that the first $20,000
be tax exempt.

Siarlys

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:31:18 -0700 "Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies
I'm all for Corporations and Rich peeps paying the bulk of the taxes. But
how do you do that when the Supreme Court has even ruled that Money is a
form of free speech?
~Lance

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Discussion of the Good, Clean Funnies